An unconscious patient arrives in the emergency department following a motor vehicle accident. What should the respiratory therapist do FIRST to establish this patient’s airway?
- Head-tilt/chin-lift maneuver
- Modified jaw thrust maneuver
- Reposition the patient on their side
- Jaw thrust maneuver
- Incorrect. The head-tilt/chin-lift maneuver is contraindicated in patients with possible spinal trauma.
- Correct. The jaw thrust maneuver is indicated in patients with possible spinal injury.
- Incorrect. Moving a patient with a possible spinal injury is contraindicated.
- Incorrect. The jaw thrust maneuver slightly extends the patient’s neck. This is contraindicated in a patient with possible spinal trauma. Use the modified jaw thrust maneuver instead.
To much to do? Not enough time? Don't know where to begin?
We help struggling RRT students who are short on time and have trouble with test taking and memorization build confidence so they can excel in class and pass their NBRC RRT Board Exams!