An unconscious patient arrives in the emergency department following a motor vehicle accident. What should the respiratory therapist do FIRST to establish this patient’s airway?
- Head-tilt/chin-lift maneuver
- Modified jaw thrust maneuver
- Reposition the patient on their side
- Jaw thrust maneuver
- Incorrect. The head-tilt/chin-lift maneuver is contraindicated in patients with possible spinal trauma.
- Correct. The jaw thrust maneuver is indicated in patients with possible spinal injury.
- Incorrect. Moving a patient with a possible spinal injury is contraindicated.
- Incorrect. The jaw thrust maneuver slightly extends the patient’s neck. This is contraindicated in a patient with possible spinal trauma. Use the modified jaw thrust maneuver instead.